Mystery of Personal Identity - AA Journal review(Click here) from The Astrological Journal of Great Britain: January/February 2014, review by Diana McMahon Collis.
More About the Book The Mystery of Personal Identity
Why did The Mystery of Personal Identity win the World Astrology Prize from The Astrological Association of Great Britain?
1. The Mystery of Personal Identity sets forth a new theoretical basis for astrology which makes astrology palatable even to skeptics. Unlike those who proclaim a scientific relationship between cosmos and personality, here there is an emphasis on astrological metaphor's ability to transform the meaning of our lives, to awaken wonder and to heal.
2. The book was the first to show how astrological metaphor can function as a tool in depth psychotherapy. It includes a case illustration of 75 pages.
3. The book shows psychotherapists how to use astrological symbols to help a client explore his life's meaning, and shows astrologers how to use psychological methods to deepen astrological counseling.
4. Much criticism has been leveled against psychology for labeling people with a pejorative language; less emphasis has been placed on offering a viable alternative. Here is such an alternative. In this book the reader is led on a journey beginning with the author's forty night vision quest in the woods alone, to Native American and other pre-modern traditions of personality description that offer a positive alternative to the medical model of personality description. The book reveals how modern psychotherapy's lost lineage is from an ancient tradition of "name givers," and how reconnecting with this tradition can revitalize our relationship with the wider whole of which we are a part.
5. Mystery...re-visions astrology into an astro-poetic language so that the essence of astrology can be used without speaking a word of astrological language. The book, therefore, is written to a much broader audience than most other astrological works. It is helpful to anyone who wants to become more aware of how their own quest for self knowledge is effected by the language through which their identity is described.
Michael Mayer, Ph.D. is a licensed psychologist in private practice in the San Francisco Bay area. Dr. Mayer pioneered the integration of astrology and depth psychotherapy with his doctoral dissertation and The Mystery of Personal Identity. He cofounded the Transpersonal Psychology Program at John F. Kennedy University where he trained therapists for twelve years and specialized in the use of symbolic processes to heal. Dr. Mayer is the author of twenty publications integrating psychology with ancient sacred wisdom traditions. His latest book is The Path of a Reluctant Metaphysician: Stories and Practices for Troubled Times (Bodymind Healing Publications, 2012).