The book, The Path of a Reluctant Metaphysician, is one metaphysician’s "coat of many colors" that is passed on to the reader to help you on your journey through the seasons of your life. My hope is that from listening to my story, you will learn how to weave your unique coat of many colors to pass on to posterity. Like Joseph, each of us does not want to be sold into “the slavery of life” or suffer various wounds and betrayals due to the way of being in which we are cloaked, but from such experiences the fabric of each Reluctant Metaphysician's life is woven.
As a Reluctant Metaphysician, I have woven my integral “coat of many colors” from the following,
- The Metaphysics of Myths: To extract primordial wisdom from mythic tales to help us navigate distressing times.
- Age-old, Energetic Metaphysical Traditions: To become initiated into time-tested practices, such as Tai Chi and Qigong to keep our sense of equanimity.
- The Metaphysics of Bodymind Healing and Psychotherapy: To learn self-healing methods to deal with times of crisis and to find our life stance.
- Astrological Metaphysics: To become aware of the cosmological synchronicities of our current times, and of our personal lives, so that we open to the awe of the great mystery play of life (no belief in the correspondence between celestial sphere and our lives is necessary.)
- Political Metaphysics: To draw from the world behind the world to help us cope with, and develop political actions for, the troubled times in which we live.
The Path of a Reluctant Metaphysician speaks to the importance of a holistic spiritual philosophy in our current times of the “great unraveling” of our political, economic, cultural, and ecological world. Here you will find an approach to finding your life stance in such troubled times. The metaphysical path is an “all vector approach” that incorporates both “spiritual” and “soulful” pathways, traditions of postural initiation such as Tai Chi, mythology, depth psychology, bodymind healing methods, a non-deterministic approach to astrology, and a multi-dimensional approach to the political sphere.
I hope you’ll pick up the book The Path of a Reluctant Metaphysician to discover how to weave your tapestry of metaphysical traditions to help you find your center (axis mundi) in troubled times.
About Michael Mayer
Michael Mayer is a reluctant metaphysician and storyteller who uses ancient sacred wisdom traditions to help people find healing pathways through troubled times. Dr. Michael Mayer is a psychologist in private practice, author of twenty publications, including six books and various peer-reviewed articles on bodymind healing. He does workshops on his integrative approach at professional conferences, universities, hospitals, and various workshop locations such as Esalen Institute. For a more complete bio click here.
Dr. Michael Mayer has helped numerous people through his knowledge of psychotherapeutic principles, internal martial arts practices, and life style enhancement. Readers of this book will find Dr. Mayer's personal story an engrossing one, and may be motivated to recast their own beliefs and behaviors, even reluctantly, into a metaphysical mode.
—Stanley Krippner, Ph.D.
Alan Watts Professor of Psychology, Saybrook University
Co-author, Personal Mythology
For more testimonials see "What Others Are Saying."
Get Involved in the Dialogue
Comment on the book, engage in community discussion.
You can also e-mail Dr. Michael Mayer directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.